18 July 2008

Be at Peace – on the Loss of a Little One

Two weeks ago, during school holidays, one of the little boys from my children’s school lost his battle with cancer. His private funeral was during the school break, and as I write this, the school is holding their own memorial service to say goodbye to him.

I have felt compelled to stop my work and spend a few minutes concentrating on what's taking place right now at school.

So many people become angry at why a nine year old would be made to suffer and die. Meditating on this, a couple of insights have come to mind:

All children go to heaven. I believe that if a child is taken before they reach a time where they can make a decision for themselves, they are children of God. WHY they are taken remains a mystery and only God knows.

Not knowing the faith or religion of his family, the thought came to mind that perhaps this little boy is one of God’s chosen ones whom God decided to take before he had to go through the searching process we all have to to find Him.

As a parent myself, I am forced to ask God if this is in any way fair? The immediate response that came to mind was this: Would you rather watch a child bearing pain, or would you prefer to carry the pain of grief knowing that your child is now at rest and no longer suffering?

This poem by Edgar Guest has put it in perspective: [Read it substituting the gender]

A Child On Loan
"I'll send you for a little time
A Child of Mine," He said
"For you to love the while she lives,
And mourn for when she's dead."
It may be one or seven years
Or twenty-two and three,
But will you, till I call her back,
Take care of her for me?
She'll bring her charms to gladden you,
And should her stay be brief,
You'll have her lovely memories
As solace for your grief.
I cannot promise she will stay
Since all from earth returns.
But there are lessons taught down there
I want this child to learn.
I've looked the wide world over
In search for teachers true
And from the throngs that crowd life's loves
I have selected you.
Now will you give her all your love,
Not think the labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call
And take her back again?"
I fancied that I heard them say,
"Dear Lord, thy will be done
For all the joy Thy child shall bring
The risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shelter her with tenderness
We'll love her while we may
And for the happiness we've known
Forever grateful stay.
But should the angels call for her
Much sooner than we'd planned
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes
And try to understand."
~ Edgar A. Guest ~
I pray that God will comfort the family, and bring them strength, understanding and ultimately peace.

~ Be blessed ~